Thursday, January 1, 2009

#89 Flashbacks




I think everyone has some experience of flashbacks even if they don't use that word. We get a peculiarly clear memory of something that we were not thinking about or a rush of feeling comes from something we hear or smell. These can be pleasant or unpleasant.


Flashbacks arising out of long ago traumatic events are always horrific and shocking. Without prompting, my mind will produce snapshots of people or events from my past and my body is instantly flooded with fear. Something insignificant in the real world, or on television, will leave me swamped with panic or rage. These flashbacks can contain what seems to me to be new information but is probably just information newly released from where I buried it long ago.


The triggers vary and, unbidden, my body gives up a distressing memory or replays overwhelming emotions from the past. The present is gone and I am trapped inside an experience that I did not believe I could survive the first time around.

And here it has come back again.

No comments: