Wednesday, June 29, 2011

# 137 There-but-Not-There

   I show up at at social events, classroom situations, ceremonies every time that I am expected. I am there, but not there. I am harmless. I am no threat.
I don't join-in much although I am good at cleaning up afterwards.  I tell funny stories, contribute money, I don't make waves.
   I show up every time because I don't want to be conspicuous by my absence; the whole idea is that I remain inconspicuous; invisible even.
   I show up every time because if I don't I will be truly disappeared. I will be wiped from their consciousness. I will have never existed   again,
   Invisibility is my default mode because my mother indoctrinated me very early in my childhhood that: I am not as good as everyone else!
   I am ashamed of this truth so I try to make it so that no one gets to know me very well so they won't find out.
   In trying not-to-be-seen  as  not-as-good-as-them,  I have settled for
 not-being-seen-at-all.
   (Invisible by default - as a way to hide in plain sight so as not to be humiliated for being not good enough).

No comments: